Contract and Responsibilities between the Naturopathic Nutritional Therapist and Client
Nutritional therapy is recognised as a complementary medicine and is relevant for individuals with chronic conditions, as well as those looking for support to enhance their health and wellbeing.
Practitioners consider each individual to be unique and recommendations are personalised rather than a ‘one size fits all’ approach.
Practitioners never recommend nutritional therapy as a replacement for medical advice and always refer any client with ‘red flag’ signs or symptoms to their medical professional.
The Nutritional Therapist (NT) requests that the Client notes the following:
- The degree of benefit obtainable from Nutritional Therapy may vary between clients with similar health problems;
- Nutritional advice will be tailored to support health conditions and/or health concerns identified and agreed between both parties;
- Nutritional therapists are not permitted to diagnose, or claim to treat, medical conditions;
- Nutritional advice is not a substitute for professional medical advice and/or treatment;
- Your therapist is governed by the NNA Code of Professional Practice;
- Any recording of a consultation by any media, e.g. audio or visual, is not allowed without the written agreement of the therapist.
The client understands and agrees to the following:
- The client is responsible for contacting his/her GP about any health concerns;
- If you are receiving treatment for any condition from your GP, another medical provider, or another complementary therapist, please provide me with full information that can be recorded on your case history questionnaire. You should inform those therapists about any nutritional strategy or herbal remedies that result from this consultation. This is to avoid possible interactions or contra-indications with existing therapies.
- For the same reason, should you subsequently be prescribed medication when you are taking herbal remedies or nutritional supplements, you should inform your GP of them.
- Supplements or herbal remedies I recommend are intended to be taken for a specified length of time; should you wish to take any of them for longer periods, please contact me to check there are no risks involved in taking them for a longer period.
- Please be aware that in the presence of certain medical conditions, for example cancer, your GP would need to be aware of even general supportive recommendations to avoid the risk of any interactions or contra-indications with any medical treatments you were to receive.
If you are unclear about any aspect of the consultation or recommendations, please contact me. I give permission for you to contact my GP regarding any agreed aspects of my case (please tick as appropriate):
From time to time we may contact you with information about our services or offers (such as email or blog). I consent for you to contact me in this way:
We understand the above and agree that our professional relationship will be based on the content of this document. We declare that all the information we share during this professional relationship is, to the best of our knowledge, true and correct.